Friday, September 12, 2014

An All Too Familiar Encounter...

It wasn’t a particularly cold day. It wasn’t particularly warm either. It was that blissful blend of sweet and sour, mild and spicy and a whole lot of other compromising euphemisms. I sat in the back of the Starbucks located in the mecca of South Philly society: 4th and South. A large comfy chair supported my upper back as I typed away on my laptop with vigorous purpose.

“Here’s your latte Ms. Armstrong. Was there anything else you needed?” The barista was tall thin and trendy, lanky in places where most hipsters were lanky, however handsome in his face. If he gained about fifteen pounds and trimmed up his unruly beard I’d fuck him. Note to self, write a story about star-crossed lovers in the city of Philadelphia: a girl from the metal scene and your average, garden variety hipster from Northern Liberties.  I think it could be a hit.

“No thank you I’m fine.” I reply to him with a sweet tone and a smile. I’ve been trying my hardest to smile more lately. Random people on the street keep suggesting I do so. Mostly men. Anyway, I thought about it, randomly a couple weeks ago and I realized I do need to smile more. I find that I grimace in a mean-mug sort of manner even when I’m in a cheerful mood. Smiling is hard.

I sip my coffee gingerly and savor the thick scent of pumpkin spice as it lingers under my nose. The music in this shop is too low. I wouldn’t ever admit it but I actually like this song by ….I don’t even know who this song is by. It has a moderate tempo and you can definitely tell, behind the heavy 808 bass line and pulsing electronic-dub step, the girl can really sing. I like pop music like that. When you can go on YouTube and find numerous videos of said artist belting it out to a classical piano-forte like it was just her, her piano and her sacred four walls. I should have learned to play piano.
My peaceful musical reflection is disrupted by a voice. A deep voice accompanied by a dark pair of eyes, brown skin and frighteningly white teeth.

“How you doing?” He leaned over the table, WAY  into my personal space, pet peev alert, and his breath smelled like black-and-milds. Nothing wrong with that smell except that along with the waft of scent came unwanted spittle.

“I’m fine and yourself?” I didn’t smile.

“I’m good ma’. What’s your name?” I hesitated. Not because I was pondering whether or not to give him my name, because he wasn’t going to get it, I was trying to figure out why he was even in this Starbucks. He didn’t have a drink in his hand nor did he have a pastry. He also wasn’t with anyone and it didn’t appear that he was waiting to meet someone either.

“What’s yours?” I respond. A pat on the back for evading the question.

“Danny.”

“What brings you to Starbucks Danny?” I try to keep my voice as even as possible. It’s a known fact that any fluctuation in vocal pattern, when speaking to a stranger of the opposite sex, could result in a false indication of flirtation. I also kept my eyes on my computer. I wanted him to realize I was uninterested in speaking with him. I was merely being polite by responding.

“Well I was walking by and I saw you in the window, smiling at that white dude, and I thought to myself, I need to talk to that girl. She’s so beautiful, how could I not?”

I responded to him with a smile, forced but a smile none the less. How do you respond to someone after a statement like that? Thanks for the compliment but I’m not interested in getting a cup of coffee with you or a beer. He’d immediately call me a bitch loud enough for everyone to hear and storm out of the shop. As a result I’d actually start to feel like a bitch. Further I’d be left with the embarrassing stares of the people around me. Any other response would result in his staying and shooting the shit, which I definitely didn’t want. I just wanted to write in peace.

“Thanks!”

“Can I get your num…” Before he could finish his sentence a young man in a Starbucks uniform walked up to us and interrupted.

“Hey, are you alright? Did you need anything else?” He spoke directly to me. His voice was loud and deep and it was clear he was just arriving for work, apron in hand, visor connected to his belt. He also leaned into my space a bit but this time I was more than grateful for this action. “Do you know this guy? I only ask because you look a bit uncomfortable.”

He was very direct and to the point. I appreciated that. He looked the main dead in the face and didn’t flinch a bit.

“No I don’t know him. I think he was just leaving though, so I should be alright. Thank you for asking.”

I looked at the man with polite eyes, or at least with what I thought was polite eyes. Sometimes I’m not sure. I have one of those faces that just seems to look angry all of the time. The barista looked at him too. His face looked more like you got the hint buddy. My hero!

“Oh is that how it is? Aight.” The man walked away with a limp. Did guys still do that? He didn’t look behind him, he didn’t say anything, and he did cause a scene.

“Thank you! I wasn’t sure how to get out of that one without actually leaving.”

“No worries. He’s a repeat offender. Comes in here all the time hitting on good looking girls. Trapping them really. I’ve had to ask him to leave on a number of occasions. I’m Matt.” As he stuck out his hand to shake mine his bright blue eyes caught the sun light as it trickled through the visor blinds. I’d definitely fuck him!!

“Rochelle. Thanks again!” He smiled at me as he walked to what I can only assume was the staff only lounge. I took a deep breath and thanked the universe for people like Matt.


With a heavy sigh and a shake of my head, I got back to my writing. I sipped my coffee and listened to my music (I’ve found that having ear buds in sometimes deters the weirdoes). Every once in a while I’d glance up at the counter and catch Matt glancing back. Maybe I’ll ask him for his number before I head out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment